This quick and easy sesame chicken recipe is chicken pieces cooked in cornstarch and a simple sauce made out of ketchup, honey, and a few other simple ingredients over the chicken. My whole family loves this meal.
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons oil (such as avocado or canola)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3-4 cups cooked white rice, for serving
- 1 tablespoons white sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- Cut the chicken into 1 to 1 1/2 inch pieces and place in a large bowl
- Sprinkle the salt over the chicken and then add the cornstarch to the bowl.
- Use a spoon to stir the chicken into the cornstarch and stir until the chicken is completely coated.
- Heat a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat.
- Add the oil to the skillet and let it heat a few minutes.
- Add the chicken to the skillet and adjust it so that it's in an even layer.
- Let the chicken cook well on one side before turning the pieces over or by lightly stirring it. It's ok to let it brown up though before stirring, so don't mess with it too much.
- While the chicken is cooking add the honey, ketchup, vinegar, soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, and garlic powder to a small bowl, stir with a fork to combine well.
- When the chicken if fully cooked and browned on all side, pout the sauce into the pan.
- Reduce the heat to medium and allow the mixture to cook and bubble for 1 full minute, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat.
- Serve the chicken over the white rice and garnish with the sesame seeds and the green onion. Serve right away.
- We totally love this recipe! You can serve it over brown rice if you prefer.
- You can use a soy sauce substitute if you'd like to make this gluten free, no issue there (though you might need to add a little more salt, to taste, to accommodate).
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Category: main dish
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: sesame chicken, how to make sesame chicken, sesame chicken recipe, easy sesame chicken, gluten free sesame chicken recipe