Easy No-Bake Homemade Macaroni and Cheese is a faster version of the popular oven-baked pasta dish. This mac and cheese recipe is perfect for a busy week night or a bowl of simple comfort food.
- 3 cups macaroni or medium sized shell noodles
- 2 eggs
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- salt and pepper
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 3 cups cheddar, shredded (the sharper the better, I like Cabot Seriously Sharp)
- Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot, stir in noodles and cook until almost tender.
- Meanwhile, mix together the eggs, half of the evaporated milk, dry mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Drain the pasta and return to the pot. Set the pot over low heat and stir in the butter until melted.
- Stir in the egg mixture and half of the cheddar. Continue to cook over low heat, gradually stirring in the remaining milk and cheddar, until the mixture is hot and creaming, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
The cheese sauce is a bit soupy right after making. You can either let it stand for 10 minutes before serving or just give your family spoons and serve it in a bowl. The sauce does thicken as it cools and as the macaroni absorbs it.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: homemade macaroni and cheese, no bake mac and cheese, best mac and cheese recipe, easy mac and cheese recipe, simple mac and cheese recipe, easy comfort food recipe, macaroni and cheese recipe