Easy homemade mac & cheese recipe made in one pot on the stovetop with just a few simple ingredients like evaporated milk, eggs & cheese. A dinner favorite!
- 3 cups macaroni or medium-sized shell noodles
- 2 eggs
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups cheddar, shredded (the sharper the better – I like Cabot Seriously Sharp)
- Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot, stir in noodles and cook until almost tender.
- Meanwhile, mix together the eggs, half of the evaporated milk, dry mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Drain the pasta and return to the pot. Set the pot over low heat and stir in the butter until melted.
- Stir in the egg mixture and half of the cheddar. Continue to cook over low heat, gradually stirring in the remaining milk and cheddar, until the mixture is hot and creaming, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- The cheese sauce is a bit soupy right after making. You can either let it stand for 10 minutes before serving or just give your family spoons and serve it in a bowl. The sauce does thicken as it cools and the macaroni absorbs it.
- Feel free to use a different cheese or a combination of different cheeses to change things up a bit. My go-to is always classic sharp cheddar cheese though.
- You can use different shaped pasta; just be sure to cook it to al dente (slightly undercooked) before draining and adding additional ingredients.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: homemade mac and cheese recipe, easy mac n cheese recipe, quick mac n cheese recipe