Easy chocolate shortbread are lightly sweetened, crisp, buttery cookies made with just 6 simple ingredients.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and confectioners sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed for 3 to 6 minutes. Scrape the sides as needed - the mixture should be light and fluffy.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and slowly add the flour mixture until combined, about 30 seconds.
- Using you hands, press the dough in a ball in the bowl. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead it until the dough is very smooth, about 3 minutes (the heat from your hands helps the butter to melt a bit and the dough to come together).
- Press the dough into a round disk, place another piece of parchment paper on top, and roll it out into a 9-inch circle, about a 1/2 inch thick.
- Transfer the dough and the parchment paper to a parchment-lined baking sheet (the double layer of parchment helps to absorb some of the extra grease in the cookies).
- Crimp the edges of the circle with your finger and thumb. Use the tines of a fork to poke holes in a circular pattern all over the dough. Then use a small knife to score the dough into 16 wedges (don't cut all the way through the dough).
- Cover the chocolate shortbread with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes (this helps the cookie to not shrink while baking).
- Adjust the oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Sprinkle the shortbread evenly with the granulated sugar. Bake the cookie for 40 minutes.
- When the cookie is done baking, place the baking sheet on a wire rack and use a sharp knife to cut through the scores, separating the wedges, while the cookie is still hot.
- Let cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes and then transfer the shortbread to a wire rack and let it cool before serving, about one hour.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: shortbread cookies, chocolate cookies, chocolate shortbread, christmas cookies recipe