Easy chocolate chip meringue cookies are dainty, light, and crunchy little bites of cookie with just the right amount of mini chocolate chips baked into them.
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 large egg whites
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 225 degrees F., and adjust two racks so that they are in the upper-middle and lower-middle position.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper, and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch, and salt, and whisk to combine.
- Whip the egg whites, vanilla, and cream of tartar together with an electric mixer on medium-low speed, until the mixture is foamy, about 1 minute.
- Increase the mixer speed to medium-high, and whip until the whites are soft and “billowy.”
- Gradually add the sugar mixture while the mixer is running, and whip until the whites are glossy and form stiff peaks, 1 to 3 minutes.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Use a spoon or a pastry bag fitted with a plain tip to make 1 1/4-inch wide meringue kisses on the prepared baking sheets, spaced about an inch apart.
- Bake the meringue cookies for 1 hour. Turn off the oven, and let the meringues sit in the oven for an additional 1 hour (or 2 hours if in humid or rainy conditions). Remove the cookies from the oven, and let them cool before serving, about 10 minutes.
- Keep meringues crispy by storing extras in an airtight container if you live in a humid area.
- Be sure that there is NO egg yolk in your whites — even a little will stop your egg whites from whipping up properly.
- Along that line, make sure your bowl and mixer are free from grease — this will also cause your egg whites not to whip up correctly (egg whites hate fat).
- This is a great recipe to have on hand for when you have made something that is egg yolk heavy, like pudding or creme brûlée.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: easy cookie recipe, cookies, cookie recipe, meringues, chocolate chip