Light and fluffy breadsticks that are easy to make, easy to cut, and easy to shape; a perfect simple side dish to add to any meal.[adthrive-in-post-video-player video-id="FACjbblg" upload-date="2019-07-12T00:35:21.000Z" name="Light and Fluffy Breadsticks" description="Light and fluffy breadsticks that are easy to make, easy to cut, and easy to shape; a perfect simple side dish to add to any meal." player-type="default" override-embed="default"]
- 2 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 to 6 1/2 cups all-purpose or bread flour
- In a large mixing bowl, add the water, yeast, sugar, salt, and olive oil. Allow mixture to stand for 5 minutes.
- Add one cup of flour and mix to combine. Add another cup of flour and mix through. Mix for 1 or 2 minutes. The dough should be the consistency of cake batter.
- Add another cup of flour and mix through. Add flour until you can't mix it by hand very well.
- Sprinkle some flour on your table and turn the dough onto the table. Knead the dough by hand until it is smooth and elastic, adding flour as needed. This should take 6 to 10 minutes of kneading.
- Place the dough back in the bowl, cover it with a towel, and let it rise in a warm place for 15 to 60 minutes (this time varies a lot for me, I just let it rise according to how long it is until dinner time).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Divide the dough in half. Use one half for a pizza and the other half for breadsticks or use both halves for breadsticks. Roll the dough out on a piece of parchment (about a half inch thick) and then use your pizza cutter to cut the dough into 12 strips (about one and a half inches wide).
- Slide the parchment onto a baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes until the bread sticks are light brown. If the bread sticks stick together a little, just re-cut them after they have baked.
- If you want more breadsticks, repeat, but if you want a pizza, use the other half of the dough for a pizza crust. (Here's a full post on how to turn this recipe into pizza.)
- Serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce.
- Don't fear the yeast bread! Just knead it and work with it until it's soft and tender. It shouldn't be sticky. Once it rises, just roll it out and cut it.
- You can roll it out and cut it right on a baking mat or on parchment paper OR you can roll and cut the breadsticks out on your counter top and then simply pick up each breadstick and transfer it to a baking sheet. Both are great and easy options.
- My mom rubs the tops of the hot breadsticks with butter when they come out of the oven and then sprinkles them with a little Parmesan. So good.
- Prep Time: 60 min
- Cook Time: 18 min
- Category: Breads
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: bread stick, pizza, dough, pizza dough, bread sticks recipe, how to make bread sticks, homemade bread sticks, pizza dough recipes