Apple cabbage salad with pecans is a crunchy and bright salad similar to cole slaw with just a hint of sweetness from the fruit.
For the salad:
- 1 bag “angel hair” finely sliced green cabbage, about 10 ounces
- 1 bag broccoli slaw, about 12 ounces
- 2 large apples (one red and one green, preferred), cored and chopped
- 2 green onions, minced
- 1 cup pecans, toasted if you’d like
For the dressing:
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Add all of the salad ingredients together in a large bowl, and toss to combine. You could also add the cabbage and broccoli slaw, toss to combine, and then just keep the apples, onion, and pecans on the top so that it looks pretty before serving — it’s up to you.
- To make the dressing, add the oil, vinegar, maple syrup (or honey), salt, and pepper to a small jar with a screw-on lid (like a mason jar), add the lid, and shake well to combine.
- Serve the salad and dressing separately, and let people dress their salad as they like.
- The addition of dried cranberries and some bacon would be fabulous.
- Not wanting to make a dressing? A store-bought vinaigrette or poppy seed dressing would be great on this.
- If you are serving this to a crowd, you may dress the salad just before serving. I have found that the leftovers of the salad don’t keep if they are dressed, though. It tends to get soggy.
- Category: salad, side
- Method: no bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cabbage salad, apple salad, easy salad, side salad, easy side