This DIY sewing kit in a jar is such a fun, creative, simple, and sweet gift for the crafty ones in your life!
- Glass jars with a flat and ring (the two pieces to the lid)
- Hot glue
- Quilt batting or fiber fill
- Spray paint (optional)
- Little scissors
- Tape measure
- Notions wrapped around clothespins (Ric-Rac, ribbon, yarn, elastic…)
- If you want to spray paint the ring of the lid, do that first so that it has time to dry.
- Cut a circle out of your fabric that is about 2 inches wider all the way around the flat (the flat metal part of the lid). If the flat is 3 inches across, then your circle of fabric should be 7 inches across.
- Wad a piece of batting or fiber fill in your hands until you have a hard ball just smaller than the size of your fist. Using two hands place the material circle around the stuffing/batting ball. Carefully put the wad of stuffing or batting on the shiny side of the flat so that the fabric is facing your palm, batting, and then the flat.
- Are you with me? It’s not really hard, but it was near impossible to get a picture of the process while doing it. The goal is just to hold it all together while you glue the fabric to the underside of the flat.
- Pull the fabric to the back of the lid and hot glue it in place. I found it easiest to glue a piece and then glue opposite of where you just did. So glue the top then bottom, the left then right, and work your way around like like a clock. This helped the fabric to stretch evenly.
- Now you can pop the pin cushion into the ring and screw it onto the lid. Fill the jar with your favorite sewing supplies (bonus points if the colors match the fabric), stick a few pins in the pin cushion, and you are ready to give a beautiful handmade gift. Easy!
- I would let the rings dry overnight if you choose to spray paint them. I tried to use mine after a few hours and some of the paint scratched off easily. The paint was much harder the next day.
- These are the jars I bought at Fresh Market, and I saw them at Walmart too. I think they’d be where ever you can buy Ball canning jars.
- Quilt batting was very easy to use and would recommend that. See if any quilters you know have scraps leftover from when they trim the quilt before binding.
- Category: gifts
- Method: homemade
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: homemade gift, handmade gift, teacher gift, sewing kit