Midwestern Creamy Cucumber and Vinegar Salad made with fresh cucumbers, sour cream, vinegar, and fresh herbs – a summer staple for every picnic and cookout!
- 2 large English cucumbers
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- Peel and thinly slice cucumbers. Sprinkle them with 2 teaspoons of kosher salt and place them in a colander in the sink, allowing the salt to draw out the excess moisture for about 30 minutes.
- Make the dressing by combining in a large bowl the sour cream, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, vinegar, sugar, garlic, and fresh dill and mix well.
- Once the cucumbers have drained, gently shake off the excess moisture and add them to the bowl with the dressing. Toss to coat and serve immediately, or refrigerate for up to 2 hours before serving.