Crunchy oat and honey granola bars are sweet and packed with wholesome ingredients, plus they travel well, making them the perfect contenders for snacks on-the-go or boxed lunches!
- 3 1/4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 cup crispy rice cereal
- 2/3 cup whole wheat or oat flour (make oat flour by blending oats in your blender)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F., and line a 9×13-inch baking sheet with parchment paper. Lightly spray the parchment with cooking oil.
- In a large bowl, add the oats, cereal, flour, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt. Stir well to combine.
- Warm the honey and coconut oil in the microwave or on the stove until melted and runny. Add the vanilla, and stir to combine.
- Add the honey mixture to the oat mixture, and stir to combine well, making sure to leave no dry pockets or chunks.
- Add the mixture to the prepared baking pan. Pat down firmly (use wetted hands or the bottom of a measuring cup) to create packed even layer.
- Bake until the oats are golden on top, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and then use the bottom of a measuring cup to press down the bars again.
- Let the bars cool for 15 minutes in the pan. After 15 minutes, use the edges of the parchment paper to remove the bars from the pan, and place them on a cutting board.
- Cut into granola bars (rectangle, square, or whatever you like) while they are still warm (it’s hard to cut them once they have cooled).
- Let cool completely, and then store in an airtight container.
- Recipe from Five Heart Home.
- These store great out of the fridge. They also hold their shape really well and don’t crumble easily, which makes them a great candidate for lunch boxes and packing for outings.