Get ready for the savory waffles you didn’t know you needed in your life! With crispy ham and cheese in these waffles, plus a dose of green onion, they’re everything you could dream of in a savory waffles, and then some.
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup light oil, such as canola, vegetable, or avocado oil
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1 cup finely chopped ham lunch meat
- 1 cup shredded cheese, such as sharp cheddar or swiss
- 2 green onions, finely chopped, optional
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, garlic powder, and onion powder, and stir to combine.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and add the eggs, oil, and milk.
- Whisk all ingredients together until a thin and slightly lumpy batter forms.
- Fold in the ham, cheese, and green onion if using.
- Pour the batter into your waffle iron according to manufacturers directions.
- When the waffle is done cooking, carefully place it on a wire rack to cool, taking care not to stack the waffles on top of each other. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve waffles hot.
- I like to cook these longer than other waffles so that they crisp up and the cheese doesn’t stick. I normally do a cycle and a half, or turn my waffle iron up to a “darker” setting.
- We love to eat these like a savory biscuit with a fried egg on top, and they are also great like a sandwich next to a bowl of tomato soup.
- Be sure to spray your waffle iron well with cooking spray so that the cheese doesn’t stick.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Waffle Iron
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: waffles with cheese, how to make waffles, easy waffle recipe, best waffle recipe, homemade waffles, breakfast for dinner