I shared a recipe for some really (really!) tasty buffalo chicken wraps the other day and let you in on the fact I was trying to win a recipe contest for the new Mission Super Soft Tortillas. Well in the contest rules I noticed that it said you were allowed to enter more than one recipe, so I thought I better up my chances of winning and submit a second recipe.
I tried to really think out of the box on this one. I decided for sure a dessert, because honestly, I don’t know many desserts featuring tortillas. And since tortillas were the wild card ingredient for the recipe, I wanted to stick with simple yet delicious things to go inside. You can’t beat a sweet cream cheese layer, raspberry pie filling, and a simple lemon sauce when it comes to classic and tasty. After some brain-storming on the phone with my mom the idea for Creamy Raspberry Lemon Wraps was hatched.
I tried a few things when it came to serving from warming the whole thing in oven, warming things separately and then combining, and baking a pan full with the lemon sauce on top like you would enchiladas. I discovered it was best to not bake or cook the tortillas in the oven because they started to crisp up, loosing that delightful super soft aspect that makes them so perfect for a dessert. In the end I just warmed the tortillas in the microwave, filled them with room temperature raspberry pie filling and sweetened cream cheese, and then topped with the warm lemon sauce. That was just the right about of warmth to make it feel like you are eating dessert without having to heat the oven or lose the of the soft tortilla wonder. The easiest way happened to be the best way, and that’s only makes the recipe more appealing.
These were great! They ate a lot like a crêpe with a bit toothier texture. The tortillas aren’t overly “floury” in taste and the texture is just perfect for this. What’s not to love? You can’t beat Creamy Raspberry Lemon Wraps when it comes to the taste and easy of making categories. And I think they might have just scored me a trip to Seattle this summer 🙂
Creamy Raspberry Lemon Wraps
You can’t beat a sweet cream cheese layer, raspberry pie filling, and a simple lemon sauce all rolled up in a super soft tortilla.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 8
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Roll Ups
- Cuisine: American
For the simple lemon sauce:
- 2 lemons
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 Tablespoons corn starch
For the cream cheese filling:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, soften
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 can raspberry pie filling
- 8 Mission Super Soft taco-sized tortillas
- To make the simple lemon sauce, zest and juice both lemons. Reserve 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice for the cream cheese filling. Add the rest of the lemon juice (about 1/3 cup) and all of the lemon zest (about 4 teaspoons) into a small saucepan. In a small bowl combine the sugar and cornstarch and whisk to combine. Add the sugar mixture to the lemon juice and whisk to combine. Turn the heat on to medium. Allow the mixture to come to a boil, stirring often, and then boil for 3 minutes. Take the pan off the heat and allow to cool.
- To make the cream cheese filling simply beat the cream cheese, sugar, and lemon juice until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- To assembly the Creamy Raspberry Lemon Wraps warm the tortillas up according to package directions. Add a generous tablespoon of raspberry pie filling to the center and spread it from top to bottom, keeping it in a line down the middle. Add a tablespoon of the cream cheese filling and spread it on top of the raspberry pie filling. Roll the tortilla up and place the seem down on the plate. Repeat with an additional tortilla and place it on the plate next to the first. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of the simple lemon sauce over the top of the rolled tortilla and serve right away.
Keywords: sweet breakfast tortilla roll ups, easy breakfast recipe
Thanks so much for stopping in and wish me luck!