This One Pot Macaroni and Cheese is so easy! Cook the macaroni right in the milk that's used to make the sauce. Creamy, delicious & ready in 15 minutes![adthrive-in-post-video-player video-id="A1o22AbF" upload-date="2017-05-12T18:39:01.000Z" name="One Pot Creamy Mac and Cheese" description="One Pot Cream Mac and Cheese" player-type="default" override-embed="default"]
- 2 1/2 cups whole or 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups dry elbow macaroni
- 1 to 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- More salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot add the milk, butter, and macaroni noodles. Turn the burner on to medium and bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring often.
- Reduce the heat if the milk seems to stick to the bottom of the pan and stir often until the noodles are cooked though, about 15-18 minutes. Slow and low if your friend here, if you cook this step too fast and hot, the milk will curdle.
- Stir in the cheese and salt until everything is melted.
- Depending on the type and sharpness of cheese you may want to add up to another cup of cheese. Taste it and see. I used a moderately sharp cheddar and liked it at about 1 and 1/4 cups of cheese. If I had used something milder I think I would have used more. I've made this a handful of times and each time I seem to use a different amount of cheese, depending on my mood and how much cheese I have in the fridge.
- Serve right away.
- Don't boil the noodles, just a gentle simmer; the milk will curdle and you'll have a gross texture to your mac and cheese.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove-Top
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: Serves 4
- Calories: 397
- Sugar: 7.9g
- Sodium: 268mg
- Fat: 18.6g
- Carbohydrates: 39.9g
- Protein: 17.2g
- Cholesterol: 53.9mg
Keywords: mac and cheese, mac n cheese, macaroni and cheese, homemade mac and cheese, best mac and cheese, easy mac and cheese recipe, how to make mac and cheese