Cream Puffs are a delicate, bite-sized pastry that is filled with a delicious homemade custard and whipped cream. Contrary to popular belief, they are really simple but feel extremely fancy.
For the Pastry:
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup butter, salted or unsalted
- 1 cup flour
- 4 eggs
For the Filling:
- 2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
To make the pastry:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat and set aside.
- Add the water and butter to medium sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Once boiling turn heat to low and add flour all at once; stir vigorously for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat. Let the mixture cool for 5 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, and beat very well between each addition. The mixture will go from slimy and wet looking to smooth and uniform after each addition. This takes a little elbow grease or you can use a stand mixer if you prefer.
- Put the warm dough in a large piping bag (I don’t use a tip, just the end of the open bag, you can use a large plain round tip if you’d like).
- Pipe into mounds on parchment lined cookie sheet about 2 ½ inches wide and tall.
- Bake 35-40 minutes until puffed and golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature (about an hour) before filling.
To make the pastry cream filling:
- In a large saucepan, bring the milk and 1/4 cup of sugar up to 180 degrees over medium heat, stirring very often. The mixture should be hot and start to steam across the top, but should not boil.
- While the milk is heating, mix the cornstarch and 1/4 cup of sugar together in a medium bowl.
- Add the egg yolks and whole egg to the cornstarch mixture and whisk to combine well.
- When the milk is hot, slowly whisk one cup of hot milk into the egg mixture and then whisk the egg mixture back into the pan of hot milk.
- Cook over medium heat until the mixture starts to bubble and thicken, stirring constantly, about 6 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in butter, and vanilla.
- Let filling cool completely before filling pastry.
- Cut off top of the pastry.
- Fill the bottom of the pastry up with the pastry cream filling. Fill the top with the whipped cream.
- Put the top on bottom and repeat with remaining pastries, pastry cream, and whipped cream.
- Sprinkle the tops with powdered sugar and serve!
- My sister in law Beth makes these and pipes the pastry cream and whipped cream in seperately. I whipped the cream and fold it into the chilled pastry cream (I make it ahead of time and chill overnight), so it makes a fluffy version of the pastry cream. Both are delicious options.
- You can also fill these with a little fruit or jam in addition to the pastry cream. You can also drizzle chocolate on top if you’d like.
- If you want to make the cream puffs and fill them with chicken salad, it’s a fun dish to serve at a party!
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: French
- Serving Size: 1 cream puff
- Calories: 201
- Sugar: 10.5g
- Sodium: 50.5mg
- Fat: 10.5g
- Carbohydrates: 21g
- Protein: 5.6g
- Cholesterol: 129.4mg
Keywords: cream puffs, how to make cream puffs, cream puff recipe, easy cream puff recipe, quick cream puff recipe, french pastry recipe