Soft, chewy, and little bit sweet this cracked wheat braided bread is the perfect hearty bread to go with any soup or stew this winter.
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 3/4 cup bulgur
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 cup bread flour
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons shortening or softened butter
- 3/4 cup warm water
- In bowl of your stand mixer mix warm water and honey together.
- Add bulgur and whole wheat flour.
- Mix together and then let the mixture sit for 40 minutes. This helps the cracked wheat to soften up.
- After the 40 minutes, add the remaining ingredient to mixer bowl.
- With dough hook attachment mix until completely combined and smooth. About 10 minutes. Do not under mix here, the mixing allows the gluten to develop and will help hold your bread together.
- Place tea towel over the bowl and let rise for at least 2 hour or until doubled in size (be patient here, it takes longer for whole grain doughs to rise).
- Turn dough out on to a lightly floured work surface.
- Divide the dough in half.
- Divide one half of the dough into 3 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into a log about 12 inches long
- Pinch the ends of the pieces together and braid the bread logs together.
- Once done with the braid tuck both ends under so all the ends are on the bottom (this helps the braid to stay together, just tuck and inch of the end under).
- Divide second half into 6 equal pieces
- Make 2 small braids in the same way you made the larger braid OR you can make another loaf from three bread braid strands the same size as the first loaf.
- Place the braided bread on a baking sheet dusted lightly with cornmeal.
- Let rise for 30 minutes.
- Bake the loaves at 400 degrees F.
- The smaller loaves bake for 25 minutes, and bake the larger loaf for 35-40 minute or until golden brown.
- Once out of oven brush top with melted butter.
- The cracked wheat leaves little chewy bits in the bread and the texture is delightful and toothsome.
- Prep Time: 3 hours
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Category: side
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/12
- Calories: 143
- Sugar: 1.8g
- Sodium: 438.8mg
- Fat: .7g
- Carbohydrates: 29.6g
- Protein: 4.9g
Keywords: cracked wheat bread, bulgur bread, bread with bulgur, whole wheat bread, braided bread recipe. how to make braided bread