It’s been ages since I’ve done a confession post, but something I definitely want to keep doing. For some reason I just love writing these and find myself thinking about it often. A little change of pace but something really fun for me (and I hope you too!)
1. I love living the small town life and I’m really settling in. At first I missed eating out, not that we did tons, but once in a while is more than never! But even that is something I’ve gotten used to. I love being able to walk to the grocery store, take the wagon inside, and get what I want. We go about every day for this or that and it’s just so lovely. I don’t drive much and everything I need (groceries, bank, post office, school, and our garden) are within 3 blocks of my house. Sure there are some drawbacks (like no Taco Bell or fabric store), but for the most part I’m really liking things.
2. I bawled the day I sent my oldest to Kindergarten last week. And the night before. And just about anytime anyone asked me about it the month previous. I walked her to her room that morning and started sobbing the minute I walked out alone. Full on ugly crying, down the whole long hall to the door. I’ve been dreading the day since she was about three and now it’s real. She is GONE for hours and hours a day. I had no idea that this would be such a painful transition. I know it’s not so traumatic for everyone but I’m struggling terribly with it. Is it summer yet??
3. I have a super ghetto stove that I use in a semi-ghetto kitchen. I’m not complaining, I’m just letting you know (most things are better than washing dishes in a bucket for 9 months). Sometimes I think that it looks like all food bloggers are blogging from, creating in, and using the most gorgeous Better Homes and Gardens inspired kitchens. Well, we aren’t all that lucky. The house is a rental and the stove was here; one day I’ll be livin’ the dream but until then I have this. The knob to adjust the oven temperature is broken so I use some pliers and a thermometer. I have three plugs in the kitchen including that beauty which is half hidden by the ghetto stove. And yes, I use that classy foil to cover the permanently black burner pans. Fancy I know! And I wonder why BHG hasn’t contacted me about being in their magazine 😉
4. I’m not a squeamish bug-hating type of lady. I can kill my own spiders, catch and feed grasshoppers to my hens, and let my little boys have “friends”.
5. I mentally struggle with pregnancy weight – I’m about 31 weeks along (due on Halloween no less!). I’ve gained about 30 pounds so far and still have months left. It’s not like I started out “too thin” either… I was probably 10 to 15 pounds heavier than I was before I got pregnant with the other kids. I know this is all pretty normal and I’m grateful to be carrying a healthy baby but I struggle so terribly with the weight gain. I look in the mirror and cringe. Some days I just feel so disgusted and sick of myself that I just cry. How do I get over these feelings?! I feel like I eat normal portions of healthy food and skip out on things that I want to eat but know aren’t great choices. I also walk for about 40 minutes most mornings and go to water aerobics for an hour four days a week. So if I’m eating well, active, and healthy, why can’t I just embrace the weight? It’s so hard to talk to anyone about it too because the only response I get is “You’re pregnant!”. I know, I know, but it doesn’t mean that my brain is ok with getting chubby. Am I a total nut?
6. I’m in love with my garden. It’s a giant weedy mess right now that is plum full of delicious things to eat. Best. Hobby. Ever. Ok, that isn’t really much of a secret. If you are on instagram with me you know I can’t get enough of it 🙂 Any fellow gardeners sharing my love right now?
7. I’ve been craving these Triple Chocolate Brownies from about 6 days now. It’s a recipe from America’s Test Kitchen and definitely the best brownie recipe I’ve ever made. Really really good stuff. I’m not sure how much longer I can hold out on this craving! Anyone wanna split a pan 🙂 I’ll mail you some!
Do you have anything to confess? I’m all ears.
Thanks for letting me dish. You all are the best.