Healthy Tropical Smoothie
on Jul 08, 2022, Updated Dec 01, 2022
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
I am a smoothie girl through and through. The taste, the ease, the health benefits-I’m here for it all. This bright and colorful Tropical Smoothie made with banana, pineapple, mango and a whole orange screams summertime and the living is easy.
Smoothies are a staple around my house. I love making these refreshing drinks at home versus buying them at a smoothie shop. They are healthier, cheaper and you can add whatever the heck you want. I would go broke buying expensive smoothies so now I simply whip them up myself!
Smoothies are super easy to make and only take a couple of minutes. You only need the desired ingredients and a blender. You don’t even need anything fancy, just a plain ol’ blender will get the job done.
I have made hundreds of smoothies in my day and I have a tried and true method of the order in which you layer the ingredients to your blender. To get the best texture add the liquids first. This will help everything blend much easier. Then, add any soft ingredients like fresh fruit. If you are adding greens you can add them in just before the soft fruit. Finally, add any frozen fruit to the blender. Begin blending slowly at first and then slowly kick it up a notch. The way you layer does make a difference!
- Frozen banana: a classic choice which helps the texture of the smoothie to be cream
- Frozen pineapples: great for that tropical flavor
- Frozen mango: adds sweetness and a pretty color
- Whole orange: this is one of my favorite smoothie tricks! It’s adding a liquid to your smoothie to help it blend up, but it’s also packed with fiber. I love adding whole oranges to smoothies
- Milk of choice: lots of options here so use what you like or have on hand. I’ll often use half milk and half fresh raw cream (pour it straight out of the jar when the cream rises to the top) for extra rich and cream smoothies
- Vanilla extract: this makes the smoothie taste like a dreamy dessert, highly recommend adding a little vanilla to your smoothies
How to make a smoothie:
- The best part about smoothies is they are so easy! Toss everything in the blender and let it blend until smooth.
- Pour into two cups and enjoy!
- Bonus: make a double batch and turn the other hand into popsicles! This smoothie recipe makes amazing popsicles.
Frequently Asked Questions:
I like my smoothies to be cool and refreshing so I opt for using frozen fruit instead of ice. Ice tends to water down the overall flavor. If you are only working with fresh fruit, you can put the fruit in the freezer for 30 minutes so it isn’t quite as soft. And if you want to add ice to fresh fruit in your smoothie, it might need a little sweetener added to make up for that water.
Sooooo many delicious options and the fruit you use in your smoothie just depends on what overall flavor you are trying to achieve. Here are some of my go-to fruits: bananas, berries, mangos, pineapples, oranges… really so many choices.
To fully mix all of the smoothie ingredients it will take about 1 to 2 minutes. You want to make sure you get a smooth texture with no lumps before you finish blending.
Of course! Water is a great liquid to use in smoothies if you don’t want to add milk to your smoothie. You could also use a juice (like pineapple or apple!) that would work well too.
Are fruit smoothies good for you?
Fruit smoothies are a healthy addition to your diet. The fruit provides an ample amount of vitamins, minerals and fiber. Of course, if you are adding a substantial amount of sugar then smoothies aren’t as good for you as they could be, but I’m all about all things in moderation. This smoothie has a whole orange in it, instead of just the juice, I love adding all the fiber!
More easy snack recipes:
- 8 No-Bake Oatmeal Energy Balls
- 8 Easy Homemade Granola Bar Recipes
- 10 Healthy Snacks You Can Prep in Advance
Clean and Healthy Tropical Smoothie
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 cup frozen pineapples
- 1 cup frozen mango
- 1 whole orange,, peeled
- 1 cup milk of choice,, coconut milk is delicious
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Add all of the ingredients to a blender and process until smooth.
- If your blender is working too hard or not mixing well, add a bit more milk and blend again.
- Divide into 2 glasses and enjoy right away.
- I’ll often make a double batch of this and put half of it in popsicle molds in the freezer, it makes amazing popsicles.
Other Delicious & Healthy Smoothies:
- Workout Recovery Smoothie
- 8 Simple Smoothie Recipes to Liven Up Your Day
- Healthy Pumpkin Protein Smoothie
- Healthy Strawberry Kiwi Smoothie
- Postpartum Recovery Smoothie
- Healthy Key Lime Pie Smoothie
- Cold Killer Smoothie
- Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Smoothie (no weird powder needed)
- Sour Cherry and Pomegranate Detox Smoothie
- How to make freezer smoothie bags (the easiest smoothies ever!)
Tropical smoothies will be a summer staple at my house. They are so refreshing and delicious. It is a perfect way to cool down on a summer day while drinking something healthy.