Creamy and cheesy Classic Scalloped Potatoes are the king of decadent side dishes! They immediately add a whole lot of comfort to any plate.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 pounds russet potatoes (5 medium), peeled and sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large dutch oven over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the onion, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the thyme, garlic, salt, and pepper, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the potatoes, broth, cream, and bay leaves.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are almost tender, about 10 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaves, and transfer the potato mixture to an 8-inch square baking dish. Gently press the potatoes into an even layer, and sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top.
- Bake until the cream is bubbling around the edges and the top is golden-brown, about 20 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- You can sub grated Parmesan cheese for the cheddar if you'd like (that's what's shown in the pictures).
- Omit the thyme if you aren't a big fan.
- Using a mandoline slicer or a v-blade slicer makes cutting the potatoes evenly thin much faster and easier; I'd recommend that or a food processor for the potato slicing.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stove Top, Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: scalloped potatoes, scalloped potatoes recipe, cheesy scalloped potatoes, easy potato side dish, comfort food, homemade scalloped potatoes, best scalloped potatoes