You'll love how quick and easy this clam chowder recipe is and your family will love it as much as mine. It's rich and creamy but oh so simple to make.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 to 3 stalks celery, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic or 2 cloves minced
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves (or 1 tablespoon fresh)
- 2 jars clam juice (8 ounce jars)
- 2 can minced clams with juice (6.5 ounce cans)
- 4 cups chicken or seafood stock
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- chopped fresh chives for serving, optional
- bread bowls or oyster crackers for serving, optional
- In a large stockpot or Dutch oven add the butter, chopped celery, and onion, and cook over medium high heat, stirring occasionally, until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the potatoes, thyme, clams with juice, clam juice, and chicken stock to the pan. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce to medium. Add a lid to the pot and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- When the potatoes are tender add the cold water to a small bowl and whisk in the cornstarch. Add the cornstarch mixture to the stock pot and stir to combine. Let the mixture simmer for 3 more minutes.
- Add the cream, salt, and pepper and remove from the heat.
- Adjust the salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve in bread bowl or normal bowls with chopped chives and oyster crackers
- I really like Snow's brand clams.
- You can add more clams to this recipe and you can replace some of the chicken stock with more clam juice. The taste is great. This is just how I make it for my family because it's a little more economical like this.
- I've made this with new red potatoes and I didn't peel them. That works just fine too.
- I don't like bacon in my clam chowder, I think it hides the clam flavor. That being said, if you do like it, fry up 4-6 pieces in your Dutch oven first, remove the bacon and cook the veggies in the remaining bacon grease instead of butter. Add the crumbled cooked bacon before serving.
- If you have the time you can cook the potatoes longer than just to the tender stage. Sometimes I'll cook them an extra 15-20 minutes until they are super super tender, it makes the soup thicker and we like it like this too.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Category: main dish
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: how to make clam chowder, clam chowder, clam chowder recipe, clam chowder with canned clams, clam chowder without fresh clams, clam chowder without bacon