This easy, meatless meal is like a rice-and-bean-layered enchilada casserole. Topped with green or red enchilada sauce (you pick!) and cheese, you'll be satisfied with this savory rendition of a classic Tex-Mex dish.
- 1 tablespoon oil, such as olive or canola
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans diced green chiles
- 3 or 4 Roma tomatoes, chopped or 1 can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice from 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 28 oz. can red or green enchilada sauce (or homemade red or green enchilada sauce)
- 2-3 cups cooked rice
- 2 cans beans of your choosing, drained and rinsed
- 8-10 tortillas
- 2-3 cups shredded cheese
- Additional toppings, like sour cream, chopped lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, or hot sauce
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, and cook for 5 minutes or until they start to get tender.
- Add garlic, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the green chiles, tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice, taco seasoning, enchilada sauce, rice, and beans. Heat through.
- Remove from heat. In a 9x13-inch pan, spread 1/4 of the mixture in the bottom. Top with torn tortillas (like you layer a lasagna). Repeat until you have used up all of your ingredients or your pan gets full.
- Top with cheese. Bake at 375 degrees until your cheese is bubbly and starting to brown, 25-35 minutes. Remove from the oven, and let stand 5 minutes before serving hot.
- Serve with sour cream, lettuce, tomatoes, and/or salsa.
- Make sure to taste your concoction before you start layering! Add a little taco seasoning if it's bland.
- If you'd like it look and serve more like traditional enchiladas, you certainly can. Only add 1/3 of the can of enchilada sauce to your mixture. Spoon the mixture in tortillas, roll them, place them in the the pan, and cover all your enchiladas with remaining sauce before topping with cheese. It's prettier this way, but it takes a bit more time to roll them up. You can pick!
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Category: dinner
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American, Tex-Mex
Keywords: enchilada bake, rice and beans, enchilada sauce, dinner, vegetarian