Grandma Lucy’s secret recipe for soft & chewy Christmas sugar cookies that are sweet and keep their shape very well. Perfect for decorating with the kids!
- 1 cup butter flavored shortening
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 5-6 cups of all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- Cream shortening and sugar together in a medium bowl until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add your eggs and mix to combine. Add the vanilla and mix again.
- Add half flour (about 2.5 cups), baking soda, baking powder, and salt to a sifter.
- Sift into batter and mix well.
- Mix the milk and vinegar together and add it to the cookie dough mixture. Mix well to combine.
- Sift in the remaining flour (an additional 2.5 cups) and stir until well combined, adding additional flour as needed until the dough is no longer sticky (up to 1 additional cup).
- Working with ¼ of the dough at a time, roll it out on a well floured surface to ¼ to ½ inch thick.
- Use cookie cutters to make shapes and transfer to a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 10 minutes.
- Repeat with remaining dough, gathering and re-rolling the scrap dough as you go along.
- Decorate cooled cookies with icing and sprinkles, the messier the better.
- Grandma’s Notes: If you want to make the dough and let it sit in the fridge a few hours or overnight until you are ready to bake them, that works great.
Keywords: christmas cookies, easy cookie recipe, sugar cookie recipes