Baklava is a dessert that is made with phyllo dough, nuts, and honey. It is crunchy, sweet, and really unique and oh so delicious.
For the Syrup:
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup honey
For the Filling:
- 1 ½ cups pecans toasted and finely chopped
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup mini semi sweet chocolate chips
For the Phyllo:
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 24 sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed in the refrigerator overnight
- Combine all syrup ingredients in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Melt butter in the microwave or on the stove.
- Once melted skim any milky substance off the top.
- Pour clear portion of butter into a separate container.
- Discard remaining milky substance at the bottom.
- Heat oven to 350.
- Unroll phyllo onto cutting board.
- Cut dough to fit in 13×9 inch pan.
- Cover any phyllo you aren’t working with, with large dry towel.
- Brush bottom of 13×9 inch pan with melted butter.
- Lay 1 sheet of phyllo dough in pan.
- Brush phyllo with butter.
- Repeat with 11 more sheets of phyllo (so 12 layers of butter and phyllo on the bottom).
- In a small bowl mix together the pecans, sugar, and mini chocolate chips for the filling. Evenly sprinkle filling onto phyllo in the bottom of the pan.
- Top with remaining phyllo, brushing butter in between each layer as before.
- Cut baklava into squares or diamonds, cutting all the way to the bottom ( about 1 ½ inch pieces).
- Bake 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove the pan from the oven.
- Immediately pour cooled syrup evenly over the baked baklava.
- Cool completely before serving.
- Chopping the pecans very small and very uniformly will result in a much better filling.
- Normal chocolate chips are just too big in this recipes in my opinion. The minis melt more evenly.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Greek
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 135
- Sugar: 11.1g
- Sodium: 1.2mg
- Fat: 10.2g
- Carbohydrates: 11.7g
- Protein: .6g
Keywords: baklava, baklava recipe, how to make baklava, baklava with phyllo, chocolate baklava, pecan baklava, easy baklava recipe