South of the Border Chipotle Cheddar Grilled Cheese Sandwich will change your life.
- 1/3 cup finely chopped sweet bell pepper
- 1/2 of one jalapeno, seeds removed, minced
- 1/2 cup ripe tomato, diced (about half of a large tomato or one Roma)
- 2 tablespoons finely diced red onion
- 8 slices whole grain bread (whole wheat or 9 grain)
- 8 ounces Cabot Chipotle Cheddar, grated
- softened butter
- In a small pan combine the bell pepper, jalapeno, tomato, and red onion. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until the pepper and onion are soft and the moisture from tomato cooks off, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium to medium-low heat. While the pan is heating, lightly butter one side of each piece of bread. Place a piece of bread, butter side down, in the hot skillet. Top with one ounce of cheese, then 1/4 of the pepper mixture, then another 1 ounce of cheese. Top with a second slice of bread, butter side up. When the bread has browned on the bottom, flip the sandwich over and cook until the other side has browned on the bottom. When both sides of the sandwich are golden brown, remove the sandwich from the pan.
- Repeat with the remaining bread, cheese, and pepper mixture. Serve hot and enjoy right away.
Normal white bread would work fine here as long as it was a high-quality sandwich bread. That cheap stuff won’t cut it. Bonus points for choosing whole grains though.
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 398
- Sugar: 7.2g
- Sodium: 628.6mg
- Fat: 23.7g
- Carbohydrates: 29.4g
- Protein: 17.2g
- Cholesterol: 56.2mg
Keywords: Grilled Cheese, Sandwhich, Cheese