Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup with mushrooms and spinach is a quick and easy hearty soup recipe that the whole family will love!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6-8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3-4 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 quart chicken broth (linked to my recipe for homemade)
- 13 ounces frozen cheese tortellini
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken (see notes)
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup cream
- 2 ounces baby spinach, chopped (loose 2 cups or so)
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
- In a large stock pot or Dutch oven add the butter, onions, and mushrooms. Cook over medium to medium high heat until the onions are tender, stirring often, about 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and stir to combine. Cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Add the carrots, salt, dried thyme, and black pepper and stir to combine. Cook an additional 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken broth and stir to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add a lid to the pot, reduce the heat to medium, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the carrots are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the lid and increase the heat a bit to bring the pot back up to a boil.
- Add the frozen cheese tortellini and cook for as long as the package indicates, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked chicken and stir to combine.
- In a small bowl combine the cold water and cornstarch (I whisk it together with a folk), add the cornstarch mixture to the boiling soup and stir to combine. Let the mixture cook an additional 1-2 minutes or until is thickens slightly.
- Remove the soup from the heat.
- Add the cream and the baby spinach and stir to combine. The heat from the soup will wilt the spinach.
- Serve the soup hot right away with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- If you don't have shredded cooked chicken in your fridge already you can cut a chicken breast or 2 into bite-sized pieces and toss it in when you add the carrots. It'll cook while they do.
- You can use shredded turkey in this recipe in place of the chicken.
- This recipe is very flexible. Don't want mushroom? Leave them out. Love peas? Toss them in. This is often a soup I make to help clean our the vegetable drawer. The chicken, pasta. and a little bit of cream are really delicious with lots of kinds of vegetables.
- If you don't have cream you can add a can of evaporated milk as a substitute.
- You can use dried or fresh tortellini in place of the frozen, just make sure you cook it as long as the package directions indicate. You might need to add a little water or broth (1-2 cups) if using dried tortellini as it absorbs more water than the fresh or frozen.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Category: main dish
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chicken tortellini soup, creamy tortellini soup, tortellini soup recipe, how to make tortellini soup, soup with chicken, easy soup recipe