Sweet and tart with the perfect buttery, crumbly topping, homemade cherry crumble is an absolute game changer when it comes to festive and fun summertime dessert.
For the fruit filling:
- 3 pounds fresh sour cherries, pitted (or 72 ounces canned unsweetened sour cherries)
- 4 1/2 teaspoons corn starch
- 2/3 to 3/4 cup granulated sugar
For the crumble:
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, at room temperature (but not too soft, a little firm is okay)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. To make the filling, mix together the cherries, corn starch, and sugar (amount depending on the sweetness of the fruit and your preference). Stir to combine.
- Put the fruit mixture into the bottom of an 8-inch square baking dish and cover with foil.
- To make the crumble, pulse the flour, brown sugar, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, vanilla, and salt in a food processor until combined. Slice the butter into 6 pieces and put them on top of the flour mixture. Process until the mixture clumps together into large balls, about 30 seconds.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment, and break the crumble onto the sheet with you fingers. The goal is to have little pieces of crumble, about 1/2-inch in size. Spread the pieces out in an even layer on top of the parchment paper.
- Bake the foil-covered fruit on the upper-middle rack and the crumbs on the lower-middle rack in the oven until the topping is lightly brown at the edges, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Take the crumble topping and the fruit out of the oven. Uncover the fruit, and give it a gentle stir. Carefully and evenly sprinkle the crumble on top of the fruit, and then sprinkle on the last tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake, uncovered, until the topping is browned and the fruit is nice and bubbly around the edges, about 25 minutes. Let the crumble cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- Vanilla ice cream. Need I say more?
- Recipe slightly adapted from The America’s Test Kitchen Family Baking Book.
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
Keywords: dessert, baking, pie, cherries