This squash casserole is made with sliced yellow summer squash and onions that are cooked in an egg and cheese filling with a Ritz cracker topping.
- 2 or 3 medium yellow squash (4 cups sliced)
- 1 medium onion
- 4 tablespoon butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk (I used whole)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 sleeve buttery round crackers (such as Ritz), about 30 crackers
- Prepare a 9x13 inch baking dish by spraying it well with cooking spray or buttering it well. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare the yellow squash by washing it up, trimming the ends and slicing it 1/4 inch thick. If it's quiet big you can slice the squash in half, end to end, and remove the seeds before slicing. They can get pretty tough if they squash is big.
- Chop the onion or cut it into thin slices.
- In a large skillet heat the butter over medium to medium-high heat and add the squash and onion. Cook until the squash is just tender, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the squash is cooking add the eggs, milk, salt, garlic powder, cayenne pepper if using, and black pepper and stir well to combine (I like to whisk it all together with a fork).
- Add the cheese to the egg mixture and stir to combine.
- Crush the crackers so that they are fine crumbs.
- When the squash is done spread it evenly in the bottom of your prepared pan.
- Pour the egg mixture evenly over the squash.
- Top with an even layer of the crushed cracker crumbs.
- Bake for 45 minutes until the top is golden brown and the center doesn't jiggly or slosh when you shake the pan a little.
- Allow the dish to rest for 5 minutes before serving hot or warm.
- You can use just about any summer squash that you'd like for this recipe such as yellow squash, crookneck squash, zucchini, patty pans, or a mix between them. They all work great. If working with really large squash it's best to peel the outsides and remove the seeds from the insides before slicing to improve the texture.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Category: side
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: yellow squash recipe, squash recipe, squash casserole, how to make squash casserole, squash casserole recipe, zucchini casserole recipe, cheesy squash recipe