Cheesy Potato Casserole is a comfort food that your whole family will love. It tastes like your favorite classic funeral potatoes but made with homemade ingredients.
- 2.5 pounds russet potatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 12 ounces sour cream
- ½ cup melted butter
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon chicken base (like Better than Bullion)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- scant 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish well with cooking spray and set aside.
- Prepare your potatoes by peeling the skins and rinsing off the outside of the peeled potato. Grate the potatoes using a box grater or food processor.
- Working with half of the grated potatoes at a time, place them in a clean dish towel and squeeze out as much extra moisture as you can. Repeat with second half of the grated potatoes.
- Place the grated potatoes in a large bowl.
- Remove the outer skin of the onion and grate it as well (you can chop it finely but I like to grate it since I already have the grater out and used).
- Add the onion to the potatoes in the bowl.
- Add 1 cup of the shredded cheddar, the sour cream, melted butter, chicken base, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to the bowl.
- Stir to combine well.
- Add the potato mixture to the prepared pan.
- Spread the remaining shredded cheese evenly over the potatoes.
- Bake for 1 hour. If the top of the cheese starts to brown too quickly, cover the top with foil and continue to bake as directed.
- Let the mixture rest for 5 minutes before serving hot.
- Chicken base is like creamy bullion cubes and I like the Better than Bullion brand.
- You can use more cheese here if you'd like or different kinds of cheese (or a combination of cheeses), so feel free to make it to taste.
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: side dish
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cheesy potato casserole, hash brown casserole, funeral potatoes, cheesy potato casserole recipe, has brown casserole recipe, funeral potatoes recipe, potato side dish recipe