Rich and gooey, this cheesy chicken and broccoli stuffed spaghetti squash is packed full of flavor and filling nutrients!
- 2 small (1.5 pound) spaghetti squash
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups bite-sized broccoli pieces (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated Swiss cheese
- 1 cup cooked chicken, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F., and line a baking sheet with parchment paper for easy clean up.
- Remove the stems from the spaghetti squash, and then use a sharp knife to cut the squash from top to bottom (stem to blossom end lengthwise).
- Use a spoon to scrape out the seeds inside the squash, and discard them (or feed them to your chickens!).
- Place the squash, cut side down, on the parchment paper, and bake until tender, about 25 minutes.
- While the squash is cooking, melt the butter in a small pan over medium to medium-high heat.
- When the butter is melted, whisk in the flour, stir to combine, and cook for 30 seconds. Slowly whisk in the milk.
- Add the salt, onion powder, and garlic powder. Stir to combine. Add the broccoli and let the mixture simmer for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add half of the cheddar cheese and half of the Swiss cheese, and stir until melted. Add the chicken and stir to combine. Remove from the heat, and set aside.
- When the squash is done cooking, remove from the oven. Flip the squash over, and shred the flesh into “spaghetti” with a fork, taking care not to tear the skin of the squash.
- Spoon the broccoli mixture evenly over the 4 pieces of squash, and then top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for an additional 10 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve hot.
- You can use 1 large 3-pound squash for this recipe and serve it more “family style” — it’ll work great.
- Category: dinner
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: spaghetti squash, squash, low carb, easy chicken dinner, chicken and broccoli