Cheesy chicken and broccoli calzones are gooey bites of pizza-reminiscent goodness that are easy to make and enjoy!
- 1 to 2 cups cooked chicken or turkey, shredded
- 2 cups broccoli, steamed and roughly chopped
- 2 cup shredded cheese, such as sharp cheddar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 batch homemade pizza dough or 2 pounds store-bought pizza dough
- Mix the chicken, broccoli, cheese, onions, and spices together in a bowl.
- Divide dough into 6 equal parts. Roll each part into a 8- to 9-inch circle.
- Put about a 1/2-cup of filling in the middle of each circle, favoring one side.
- Dip your finger in water, and wet the edge of the dough on half of the circle. Fold the dough over, covering all the guts.
- Use a fork to press the two dough halves together.
- Place on a greased baking sheet or on a baking stone. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 25 to 30 minutes, until tops are golden-brown.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- If you want the crust extra pretty, whisk together 1 egg yolk and 1 tablespoon water, and brush it on the top of the dough before baking.
- This recipe is very flexible -- feel free to add more or less of something.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Category: dinner
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: homemade pizza dough recipe, calzone, broccoli and cheese, chicken, dinner