No-fuss Cheesy Broccoli Soup in the Crock-Pot made with lots of fresh broccoli, cheese, canned milk, and a few other simple ingredients to make one great soup your whole family will love.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 stalks of broccoli
- 4–6 cups chicken broth (or water + buillion paste)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can evaporated milk (around 12 ounces)
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, cubed
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese (I like sharp cheddar)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute until the garlic is fragrant.
- While the onion is cooking, finely chop the broccoli and add it to the slow cooker. Once the garlic and onions are cooked, add them to the slow cooker. Add enough chicken broth to cover all of the vegetables, it should take 4 to 6 cups. The less liquid you add, the thicker your soup will be in the end, so take that into account, too.
- Add the salt and pepper to the Crock-Pot. Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours until the broccoli is cooked through and very tender.
- 30 minutes before serving, add the evaporated milk, cream cheese, cheddar, and Parmesan to the hot broccoli mixture and stir until everything is melted.
- Working in batches, process the soup in a blender or food processor until smooth (if you have an emulsion blender that would work great, too). I blended half of the soup and left half of it chunky. Blend as much as you like to get the texture you prefer.
- Add all of the blended soup back to the Crock-Pot and let it reheat until you are ready to serve. Once the soup is hot, turn off the Crock-Pot and serve right away.
- When I buy fresh broccoli, it comes with 2 or 3 “stalks” rubber-banded together. Use about 5 of those stalks total and not 5 whole bunches. Are you with me?
- Be careful blending that hot soup. Seriously. I’ve gotten a nasty burn before when blending soup.
- Using cream in place of the evaporated milk would be yummy, but don’t use milk (it might curdle).
- Category: soup
- Method: slow cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: slow cooker, crock pot, broccoli, cheese, soup, healthy