- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 3 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 3–4 green onions thinly sliced (about 1/4 cup)
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (2 cups) I used Cabot Farmhouse Reserve and highly recommend finding it!
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and grease a 12-cup muffin tin well.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk together to combine.
- In a medium bowl combine the sour cream, milk, sugar, melted butter and eggs together. Whisk until well combined.
- Add the sour cream mixture to the flour mixture and gently fold them together using a rubber spatula. Do not over mix. Add the bacon, green onions, and 1 1/2 cups of the cheddar. Mix until just combined.
- Portion out the batter to fill the 12 cups of the muffin tin and then sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese over the top of each muffin. Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean,15 to 20 minutes.
- Let the muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes and then remove them to a write rack to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Because these have bacon in them, store any extras in an airtight container in the fridge. Refresh muffins in a 300 degree oven for 10 minutes before serving.