For bakers and non-bakers alike, these cookie bars come together effortlessly with the use of a cake mix and a handful of additional ingredients!
- 1 package yellow cake mix (I used Betty Crocker)
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups chocolate chips, divided
- 1 tablespoon shortening or coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, brown sugar, melted butter, and water.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips.
- Spread into a greased 9×13-inch pan.
- Bake for 18 to 22 minutes, or until light brown.
- In a small bowl, melt shortening (or coconut oil) and the remaining 1/2 cup of chocolate chips in the microwave; drizzle over the top (or just spread it if you don’t feel like drizzling).
- Cut into bars and enjoy!
- I don’t have luck with store brand or cheap cake mixes. I used a Betty Crocker one and it had great results.
- You can use milk, semi-sweet, or dark chocolate chips, or a combination, depending on your preferences.
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cake mix, dessert, chocolate chip cookie recipe, chocolate, easy