Today I’m working with Mom’s Best Cereals, and I’m sharing one of our very favorite ice cream treats: Cereal Ice Cream Sandwiches.
Cereal Ice Cream Sandwiches
This simple dessert is a great easy no-bake recipe you can make with little kitchen helpers. They can be made ahead of time and stored in the freezer, and they’re just plain fun. My kids thought these were awesome and so much fun to make and eat. I know you and your kids will love the recipe too!
Summer is in full swing and I love it. We are spending time working at the house, splashing at the pool, digging in the garden, playing in the river, and doing all kinds of hot and fun outside summer activities. I have a loose summer schedule for the day that looks something like this: breakfast – chores – reading/school time – play/craft/kitchen project – lunch – quiet time – outdoor activity – dinner – baths – reading – bed. It’s relaxed and fun, but we still manage to keep ourselves busy, in a good way. The kids fall asleep as soon as their heads hit the pillow most nights, and that kind of played-hard-tired is so satisfying.
I’ve found that in the summer, the kids are always asking for a treat. I think they are more hungry because they are so active. So I fill them up by pulling out my weekly veggie box, popping lots of popcorn, and making treats to share with neighbors and cousins. Ice cream and summer just go together, and I don’t mind at all if my kids have sticky faces from a treat now and again.
Don’t feel like you have to only use the Mom’s Best Cereals I have pictured with vanilla ice cream for these, because the possible combinations for cereal crust + ice cream are endless! Crispy Cocoa Rice, Honey Grahams, Honey Nut Toasty O’s, Safari Cocoa Crunch, Toasted Cinnamon Squares, Jungle Berry Crunch and others will all work great for the crust, and you can use any of your favorite ice creams.
Here are a few combos that you might love:
Crispy Cocoa Rice + Double Fudge ice cream
Honey Grahams + Rocky Road ice cream
Honey Nut Toasty O’s + Cookies and Cream ice cream
Safari Cocoa Crunch + Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream
Toasted Cinnamon Square + Raspberry Cheesecakes ice cream
You have so many options! You could even make homemade ice cream to stick inside. Once you have made your homemade cereal ice cream sandwiches, you can roll the edge of the ice cream in anything you choose, like more cereal, sprinkles, chopped nuts, or mini chocolate chips. I think a DIY Cereal Ice Cream Sandwiches station would be so cute at a cookout or birthday party! I just might do it for my baby’s first birthday. How cute would that be?
Working with Mom’s Best Cereals has been so fun. I really like this cereal because my kids love it, it doesn’t use high fructose corn syrup or artificial preservatives or flavors, and it’s a good price (and often on sale!). I know you’ll love them if you aren’t already a fan.
Can I use different cereal to make these ice cream sandwiches?
The possible combinations for cereal crust + ice cream are endless! Don’t feel like you have to only use the Mom’s Best Cereals I have pictured with vanilla ice cream for these. Crispy Cocoa Rice, Honey Grahams, Honey Nut Toasty O’s, Safari Cocoa Crunch, Toasted Cinnamon Squares, Jungle Berry Crunch and others will all work great for the crust, and you can use any of your favorite ice creams.
Can I freeze cereal ice cream sandwiches and eat later?
Yes! Serve right away or store in an air-tight container in the freezer until you are ready to serve. I like to make a double batch- eat some and save some for later.
How do I get the ice cream in the sandwich to look nice and smooth?
If you want the ice cream to be very round and smooth, you can scoop softened ice cream into a shallow rimmed baking dish, spread it around so that it’s about an inch thick, and then refreeze it. Once the ice cream is hard, you can use a cookie cutter to cut out round ice cream centers.
This simple dessert is a great easy no-bake recipe you can make with little kitchen helpers. They can be made ahead of time and stored in the freezer, and they’re just plain fun.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 generous cup mini marshmallows
- 4 cups Mom’s Best Cereals
- 2 cups ice cream
- Grease a 9×13 inch baking pan with butter or cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium pot over medium heat, melt the butter. When the butter is melted, add the mini marshmallows and stir until they are mostly melted. Remove from the heat and stir in the Mom’s Best Cereal of your choice.
- Dump the cereal mixture into the prepared pan. Use a spoon to press the cereal into the bottom of the pan. You really want the cereal to be pressed together. The easiest way to do this is to lay a piece of parchment paper or wax paper over the cereal mixture and use your hands or a small rolling pin to very firmly press the cereal down. Once the cereal has been pressed down, set it aside to cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Once the cereal has cooled and set, use a round cookie cutter to cut out out the ice cream bar crust.
- Place a half cup of softened ice cream in the center of one cereal crust. Add a second crust to the top, and press the two together gently so that they stick together.
- Repeat with remaining cereal crusts and ice cream.
- Serve right away or store in an air-tight container in the freezer until you are ready to serve.
If you want the ice cream to be very round and smooth, you can scoop softened ice cream into a shallow rimmed baking dish, spread it around so that it’s about an inch thick, and then refreeze it. Once the ice cream is hard, you can use a cookie cutter to cut out round ice cream centers. This is what I did. You can also use a pint of ice cream and use a serrated knife to cut it into rounds right through the container. This worked well too!
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 558
- Sugar: 39.4g
- Sodium: 239.7mg
- Fat: 29.5g
- Carbohydrates: 68.8g
- Protein: 6.3g
- Cholesterol: 129mg
Keywords: Dessert, Ice Cream, Cereal, Sweet Treats, Ice Cream Sandwiches
A Great List of Ice Cream Recipes For You to Check Out:
- Homemade Dark Chocolate Ice Cream
- Cake Batter Dessert Waffles with Ice Cream
- Cheesecake Ice Cream Recipe
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Fresh Peach Ice Cream
- Easy Snow Ice Cream Recipe
- Homemade Cake Batter Ice Cream
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream
- Fresh Mint Ice Cream
- No Machine Chocolate Truffle Ice Cream
- Eggnog Ice Cream
I can’t wait for you to make this perfect summer treat of Cereal Ice Cream Sandwiches with your kids. Make a double batch and pop half in the freezer for later!
Disclosure: This post is in partnership with Mom’s Best Cereals, but my opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that continue to make Bless this Mess possible.