Caramelized onions are sweet, creamy, and luxurious to the palate. The low and slow cooking method cuts any of that tangy, sharp flavor that raw onions are so well known for, making these the perfect addition to just about any entree!
- 2 medium onions
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- Cut onion in half, and slice onion halves to create half circles.
- Place onions and butter in a medium pot or skillet, and cook over medium-low heat, until onions become golden and sweet, stirring occasionally. This can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 hour of cooking. Slow and steady is the key.
- The 2 onions produced about 1 cup of caramelized onions.
- The time it takes to caramelize depends on the onion your start with. Vadalia and red onions caramelize faster than white and yellow because they start out sweeter.
- The white onions pictured were cooked for 50 minutes.
- Category: side
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Caramelized onions, onions, side