This Caramel Apple Oatmeal is a fun, seasonal way to transform your normal bowl of oatmeal into a bit of a treat. This easy oatmeal recipe is healthy and delicious!
- 2 cups water
- 1 large or 2 small apples pealed cored and chopped, about 1 cup
- 1 tablespoon butter or coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Chopped pecans or walnuts, optional
- Caramel Sauce (homemade or store-bought)
- In a medium sauce pan add the water, chopped apples, butter, and salt. Bring the mixture to a boil and let it boil for 3 to 5 minutes or until the apples are tender.
- Add the oats, reduce the heat to medium, and stir while the oats cook for 1 to 2 minutes (I like a less mushy oatmeal, so I only cook it for 1 minute, it’s up to you).
- Remove the oatmeal from the heat and add the honey and cinnamon to taste. Dish the oatmeal into 4 bowls, add the nuts and a drizzle of caramel and serve hot.
- The caramel is just a little icing on the cake. The sweetness comes from the honey and just a little flavor comes from the caramel. My kids loved that they got to have caramel for breakfast and I loved that most of the sweetness really came naturally from honey.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: apple oatmeal, oatmeal recipe, best oatmeal recipe, homemade oatmeal, how to make oatmeal, healthy breakfast recipe, easy healthy breakfast, easy healthy breakfast recipe