For the Cake:
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 t. vanilla
- 2 t. cinnamon
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 t. baking soda
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 cups apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine the eggs, oil, and apple sauce. Beat until foamy. Add the sugar and vanilla and stir to combine. Add the dry ingredients and stir just until wet all the way through. Fold in the apples.
- Pour the batter into greased 9×13 inch baking dish and bake for 25-35 minutes.
- While cake is cooking, make your glaze. In a medium sauce pan combine all 3 ingredients and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 3 minutes. Pour over warm cake.
- Enjoy the cake warm or let the glaze absorb into the cake overnight before serving and serve at room temperature. It’s glorious both ways.
You can use white flour if you’d like… but why not go for the whole wheat?