- 2 pounds pizza dough (we love this homemade pizza dough recipe)
- 2 1/2 cups total assorted meat of your choosing (like pepperoni, chopped ham, cooked sausage) AND/OR vegetables of your choosing (like chopped bell pepper, spinach, chopped tomatoes, sliced onion)
- 2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat the oven to 375℉. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- Divide the dough into thirds. Roll each portion into an 8-inch circle on a lightly floured surface.
- Spoon a ¾ cup (total) of meat and/or vegetables, ¼ cup shredded cheese onto half of each round.
- Mix together egg and water and brush over the edges of the circles. Fold dough over filling and crimp edges to seal shut. Cut a few splits in the tops to allow steam to escape
- Place calzones on the baking sheet and brush with the remaining egg mixture.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly before serving with marinara sauce.
- You have a whole lot of choices when it comes to the meat and/or vegetables that you choose to put in your calzone. We typically do our favorite pizza toppings! You can do anything from pepperoni and sausage to pickled jalapenos, onions, pineapple, spinach, or anything else you like. Use what you like and have on hand.