This easy butternut squash recipe is sure to be a hit with your family! Butternut squash & cheddar cheese make healthier mac n’ cheese that tastes amazing.
- 1 pound elbow macaroni (about 2 2/3 cups) traditional or whole wheat
- 1 medium butternut squash, seeded, peeled, and cubed (about 4 cups of cubed squash)
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup cream
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- Cook the noodles al dente according to package directions and set aside.
- In a large sauce pot or dutch oven add the cubed butternut squash, onion, chicken broth, sage, salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook until the squash is fork tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain the squash and reserve the cooking liquid. Add the cooked squash to a blender, add the garlic powder, and then add 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid. Process until smooth, adding a little bit of cooking liquid as needed. The smoother the better.
- Return the squash puree to the pan you cooked it in.
- Over medium heat, add the cream and stir to combine. When the mixture starts to gentle bubble stir in the cheese. When the cheese is melted, remove from the heat and add the cooked pasta.
- Stir well to combine and serve hot with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: healthy mac n cheese recipe, homemade macaroni and cheese recipe, butternut squash pasta, butternut squash mac n cheese, easy butternut squash recipe