Brown sugar glazed ham is an easy, flavorful recipe for juicy ham with a sweet and salty, caramelized outside, perfect to serve to a crowd for a holiday meal.
- 1 large fully cooked ham (bone in, spiral sliced is fine), about 15 pounds
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Remove the ham from the fridge, and let it rest at room temperature for at least 2 hours. This helps the meat to cook evenly once in the oven.
- Preheat the oven 325 degrees F.
- In a small saucepan, whisk together the brown sugar, orange juice, honey, white vinegar, yellow mustard, onion powder, garlic powder, and cinnamon.
- Cook over medium heat until the sugar dissolves and the mixture starts to simmer. Simmer for 1 to 2 minutes until the mixture thickens just a bit. Remove from the heat.
- Tear two large pieces of foil off the roll (enough to wrap the ham in), and overlap them.
- Place the ham in the center of the foil.
- Brush 1/3 of glaze over the ham, and then tightly wrap it in the foil.
- Place the ham in a baking pan, flat side down (mine fit in a 9x13-inch pan).
- Bake the ham until heated through or the center registers 100 to 110 degrees F. (This takes about 15 minutes per pound of meat.) Remove from the oven.
- Turn the oven temperature up to 400 degrees F.
- Carefully unwrap the ham (you can throw away the foil or open it up and let it line the bottom of the pan).
- Brush another third of the glaze over the ham, and return the ham to the oven.
- Let the ham cook for an additional 15 to 20 minutes, or until the glaze has started to caramelize and looks dark and sticky but not burnt.
- Remove from the oven, and brush on the last of the glaze.
- Tent with foil, and let the ham rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving hot.
- You can use this recipe with an uncooked ham too -- just make sure the meat comes to proper internal temperatures before serving.
- Prep Time: 2 hour 15 min
- Cook Time: 3 hour
- Category: main dish
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: ham glaze, glazed ham, Christmas Ham, Thanksgiving ham, ham dinner, glazed ham recipe, honey glazed ham, sugar glazed ham, orange glazed ham