Broiled nut icing is a super simple, caramel-like, nutty topping for cakes of all types and flavors!
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- In a medium saucepan, combine butter and milk. Stir over medium heat until the butter melts.
- Add the brown sugar and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat and stir in nuts.
- Pour sugar mixture over warm cake.
- Broil covered cake about 5 inches away from the heating element for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the topping is bubbly and golden.
- Cool before serving.
- This makes the perfect amount for a 9-inch round cake or a 9×9 square. If using a 9×13 cake, double the recipe. If you took the cake out of the pan before you put the topping on, be sure to place the cake on a baking sheet before topping and broiling.
- I use this recipe on my favorite Old Fashioned Oatmeal Cake; both recipes are from my great grandmother.
- Category: dessert
- Method: broil
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: broiled icing, broiled frosting, pecan icing, walnut icing, rustic cake icing