These delicious Blueberry Cornmeal Pancakes are light and soft with a hint of sweet cornbread flavor. This easy pancake recipe will become a family favorite!
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and then cooled
- 1-2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries rinsed and dried
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees and set a wire rack on a rimmed baking sheet in the oven.
- In a small bowl whisk the milk and lemon juice together. Set aside to thicken. In a medium bowl whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together. Add the egg and the melted butter to the milk mixture and whisk to combine.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredient and add the wet ingredients. Whisk very gently until just combined. There should be a few lumps remaining, be careful to not overmix.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet (I like cast iron) over medium heat until shimmering. Use a paper towel to carefully wipe the oil around the bottom and sides of the pan. Using 1/4-cup measuring cup add batter into the pan in 4 places (1/4 cup each). Top each pancake with 1 tablespoon of blueberries. Cook the pancakes until large bubbles begin to appear, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Use a wide thin spatula to flip the pancake over and cook it on the other side for an additional 1 to 1 1/2 minutes until both sides are golden brown. Transfer to the wire rack in the oven and repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve with pure maple syrup.
"To make sure frozen blueberries don't bleed, rinse them under cool water in a fine-mesh strainer until the water runs clear, then spread them on a paper towel-lined plate to try."
You can substitute white vinegar for the lemon juice.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cornmeal pancakes, blueberry pancakes, blueberry pancakes recipe, homemade pancakes mix, homemade pancakes recipe, easy homemade pancakes, easy pancake recipe