Black Bean and Sweet Potato Enchilada Bake - the best meatless enchilada recipe, made with roasted sweet potatoes and peppers! Plus, it's got black beans all layered into the enchiladas with homemade red enchilada sauce and cheese.[adthrive-in-post-video-player video-id="KBQOgHQt" upload-date="2018-04-04T18:37:15.000Z" name="Sweet Potato Black Bean Bake" description="black bean enchiladas" player-type="default" override-embed="default"]
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 of a large red onion, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 can black beans (15 ounces) drained and rinsed
- Juice of one lime
- 2 cups red enchilada sauce (try my homemade red enchilada sauce)
- 8-10 corn tortillas, cut in half
- 8-12 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Chopped tomato, cilantro, avocado, and/or hot sauce for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- In a small bowl combined the sweet potato, bell pepper, onion and olive oil. Stir to coat the vegetables lightly with the oil. Add the spices (chili powder through pepper). Stir to combine and coat the vegetables with the spices. Pour the prepared vegetables on a large rimmed baking sheet and spread them out so they are in one even layer. Roast until the sweet potatoes are tender 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven. Reduce oven heat to 350 degree.
- Place the roasted vegetables back in the bowl and add the rinsed and drained black beans and the juice of one lime, stir to combine.
- In the bottom of the 9x9 inch baking dish add 1/2 cup of the red enchilada sauce. Add a single layer of corn tortillas (use about 2 tortillas) add 1/3 of the the sweet potato and bean mixture, then 1/4 of the cheese (about a 1/2 cup), and another 1/2 cups of red enchilada sauce. Repeat with more tortillas, sweet potato mixture, cheese, sauce. Repeat with more tortillas, sweet potato mixture, cheese, sauce. Add a final layer or corn tortilla, enchilada sauce, and then top the whole things off with a heavy hand of cheese.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Let the dish cool for 5 minutes before serving with some chopped tomato, avocado, cilantro, and/or hot sauce on top.
Be careful to kind of "tent" the foil when you put it on so that it isn't touching the cheese. This will help the cheese to not stick to it and then get pulled of when you remove the foil. Few things are sadder than wasted cheese.
- Prep Time: 40 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: enchilada bake recipe, how to make enchiladas, meatless enchilada recipe, vegetarian enchilada recipe, black bean enchilada recipe, sweet potato enchilada recipe