If you like strawberry shortcake with a sweet biscuit-like shortcake, this recipe is for you!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) cold butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup whole milk or 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons sprinkling sugar, optional
- 1-2 pounds fresh strawberries, hulled, sliced, and sweetened to your liking
- 2-4 cups freshly whipped cream (sweetened if you like)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, add the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir to combine. Add the butter and use a pastry blender, two knives, a fork, or your hands to cut the butter into the flour, until it resembles small crumbs with pieces of butter no larger than a pea.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Add the beaten egg, milk, and vanilla and stir just until the mixture comes together.
- Using a large spoon, place a mound of dough on the baking sheet. You should use about 1/2 cup of dough for each biscuit. Repeat with remaining dough. Sprinkle dough with sparkling sugar.
- Bake until the shortcakes are golden brown, 12-14 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- To serve, split the shortcake in half, add strawberries and whipped cream, and then top with the second half of the biscuit. Enjoy right away. Store leftover shortcakes at room temperature, separate from the berries and whipped cream.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 14 mins
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven, Bowl
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: homemade strawberry shortcake, strawberry shortcake biscuits recipe