- Salt and pepper
- 1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken (Cut into strips that are ¾ inch wide)
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups homemade whole wheat bread crumbs (see notes)
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- To Prep:
- Add 2 cups of cold water to a large bowl. Add 2 teaspoons of salt and stir to dissolve. Submerge chicken in brine, cover, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the brine and pat dry with paper towels. Combine the flour, onion powder, granulated garlic, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ¾ teaspoon pepper in a shallow dish. Beat the eggs in a second shallow dish. Add the bread crumbs to a third shallow dish. Working with a piece at a time, toss the chicken in the flour, then dip it in the eggs, then coat with the bread crumbs. Transfer to a large plate.
- Heat ¼ cup of oil in a 12-inch skillet (cast iron works great here) and heat over medium heat until the oil is hot. Cook one third of the coated chicken in the skillet until golden brown on each side (about 5 minutes per side). Remove when the chicken is cooked through and place it on a wire rack sitting inside a baking sheet, place it in a warm oven while you prepare the rest of the chicken (200 degrees). Wipe out the pan and repeat with the remaining chicken, ⅓ at a time (so you’ll cook a total of 3 batch of chicken nuggets). Enjoy hot.
- How to freeze nuggets for later (make a big batch for the freezer!)
- Let the chicken cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- To Store:
- Transfer the cooled chicken nuggets to a freezer zipper-lock bag and seal. Freeze up to 1 month. Do no thaw before reheating.
- To Finish and Serve:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree. Bake nuggets on a wire rack, set on a rimmed baking sheet until crisp and heated through, about 30 minutes. Flip the chicken half way through cooking time. Serve hot.
Homemade Whole Wheat Bread Crumbs: Dry 6-8 pieces of your favorite homemade wheat bread in a 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes, until the bread feels dry. Tear the bread into large pieces and process in a blender or food processor until you have bread crumbs. Easy!
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove-Top
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 4 Nuggets
- Calories: 526
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 906.4mg
- Fat: 24.6g
- Carbohydrates: 43g
- Protein: 32.7g
- Cholesterol: 195mg
Keywords: Homemade Chicken Nuggets, Kids Favorite, Chicken