This Classic Waffle Recipe makes waffles that are perfectly crisp on the outside and fluffy on the inside. The best classic recipe for homemade waffles!
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup light oil, such as canola or vegetable
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 3/4 cups milk (I normally use 2%)
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar, and stir to combine.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and add the eggs, oil, applesauce, and milk.
- Whisk all ingredients together until a thin and slightly lumpy batter forms.
- Pour the batter into your waffle iron according to manufacturers directions.
- When the waffle is done cooking, carefully place it on a wire rack to cool, taking care not to stack the waffles on top of each other. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve waffles hot with your favorite topping, such as buttermilk syrup, strawberries, and whipped cream.
- If you don’t have applesauce, you can replace it with oil. I often have it on hand and like the added sweetness and moisture it brings to the waffles, but you can use what you have on hand.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Waffle Iron
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: easy waffles, waffle recipe, classic waffles, homemade waffles, how to make waffles, best waffle recipe, crispy waffle recipe, plain waffle recipe