The best butter biscuit recipe EVER, perfect for lazy mornings lounging around the house when all you want is a cozy, comforting breakfast!
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup butter, frozen or very cold
- 3/4 cup whole or 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and cream of tartar.
- Using the largest holes on a cheese grater, grate the butter into the bowl.
- Stir butter into flour mixture until the butter is broken up, and the mixture is well combined. A fork or a pastry blender work well for this step.
- Add the milk and stir until just combined – do not over mix.
- Pat dough on a floured surface until it’s 3/4 inch thick. Cut into biscuits using a biscuit cutter. This recipe makes 10 to 12 2.5-inch biscuits.
- Place on an un-greased cookie sheet. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until golden-brown. Serve right away.
- Using very cold or frozen butter is great because it makes the biscuits flaky (same principle applies to pie crusts), and it’s easy to grate on a cheese grater. No cheese grater? Use a sharp knife to cut the butter into small squares, and then use a fork or a pastry blender to work it into the flour.
- I have made this recipe using half whole wheat flour and half white flour with great success (sometimes I’ll need to add a few extra tablespoons of milk to accommodate the whole grain flour). I have tried it with 100% whole wheat flour and they didn’t rise very well. I wouldn’t recommend it.
- I highly recommend buying a biscuit cutter, too. (I have and love these and these, both I got from the King Arthur Flour website. They double well as cookie and donut cutters, too.) The biscuit cutters are pretty sharp on the edge, so you are cutting through the dough and not smashing it down. This will help your biscuits to rise tall.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Category: bread
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: butter biscuit, butter biscuit recipe, how to make biscuits