Quick, easy, and perfect for a party! This homemade barbecue sauce recipe takes about 20 minutes to put together and go great will all your sandwiches, pulled pork, and more!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 of a small onion, finely chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 4 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon spicy brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon chili paste (optional if your BBQ sauce a little spicy)
- In a medium sauce pan over medium-low heat cook the onion and garlic in the olive oil until the onion softens, about 5 minutes. Take care not to burn the onions and garlic and stir often. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine. Simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
- The onion and garlic will still be about the size you cut them into. If you don’t mind a chunky BBQ sauce then you are ready to use your homemade sauce. If you like it smoother (which I prefer) let the BBQ sauce cool for 10-15 minutes, carefully place it in a blender jar and process until smooth.
- The barbecue sauce can be used right away or refrigerated until you are need it. This will last about 2 weeks in the fridge.
- Category: Side
- Method: Stove-Top
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 206
- Sugar: 42g
- Sodium: 571.8mg
- Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 46.7g
- Protein: 0.4g
Keywords: Homemade, Barbeque Sauce, 30 Minutes