Is there anything better than bacon, caramelized onions, and cheese? According to this Creamy Baked Mac and Cheese with Bacon, absolutely not.
- 4 cups macaroni noodles, uncooked
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3-4 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (the sharper the better)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cook macaroni for half the time of the package instructions, drain, and set aside.
- In a large skillet, fry the bacon until crispy. Drain on a paper towel, and chop into small bits. Reserve 1 tablespoon of the bacon grease.
- In the same skillet that you fried the bacon in, add the onions, and cook over medium-low heat for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden-brown, caramelized, and soft. Set aside.
- In a pot, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Sprinkle in flour, and whisk to combine. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat for 1 minute.
- Pour in milk, and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until thick. Reduce heat to low. Add salt and pepper to taste. (Do not under-salt!)
- Beat egg yolks in a separate small bowl, and then drizzle 1/4 cup hot milk mixture into the yolks, stirring constantly. Pour egg mixture back into sauce, and cook for another minute.
- Add cheese, and stir until melted. Add onions and bacon, and stir. Taste for seasoning, and add more salt if needed.
- Add cooked macaroni and stir to coat. Pour into a baking dish, and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until sizzling and hot.
- Bacon, caramelized onions, and cheese... What more can we want in a mac and cheese recipe?
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: side dish
- Method: stovetop and oven
- Cuisine: pasta