Made with just 3 ingredients, baked chicken thighs are so easy, juicy, and perfectly crispy on the outside, and they’re simple enough for anyone to make!
- 2 tablespoons homemade season salt*
- 3 to 4 pounds chicken thighs (bone-in, skin-on)
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- Make a batch of homemade season salt if you don’t have any on hand. Recipe is in the notes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Remove the chicken thighs from the packaging. If the skin is very long or overhangs the chicken meat, trim the skin.
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels.
- Brush each side of the chicken with melted butter.
- Sprinkle each side of the chicken thighs with the season salt.
- Place the chicken thighs on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Cover the baking sheet with foil.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove the foil, and bake for another 10 to 20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and registers 165 degrees F. on an instant-read thermometer.
- Remove from the oven, and allow the chicken to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- You can serve the pan drippings with dinner; see notes for more info.
- *Make my favorite homemade season salt by combining 1/4 cup kosher salt, 4 teaspoons garlic powder, 1 tablespoon ground black pepper, 2 teaspoons onion powder, and 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional.
- Feel free to use any of your other favorite seasonings like lemon pepper, Cajun seasoning, or Everything Bagel seasoning for this recipe.
- The drippings left on the pan are delicious. I highly recommend serving them with your meal. You can remove the chicken from the pan and simply pour the pan juices into a bowl to serve with the meat (au jus style).
- Or you can add the pan drippings to a small sauce pan. Combine 2 tablespoons cornstarch and 1/4 cup of cold water and stir to combine. Add this to the pan drippings, whisking to combine. Heat over medium-high heat until the mixture boils and thickens, about 3 minutes. Serve as a simple gravy.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chicken thigh recipes, baked chicken thighs, easy chicken thigh recipe, how to bake chicken thighs, oven baked chicken thighs