Here's how to make a do-it-yourself trail mix station that's such a fun thing for families to make before going on an adventure. You'll love all of my trail mix recipes and ideas too. There's no wrong way to make a trail mix.
- We love dried pineapple, blueberries, cherries, persimmons, apricots, cranberries, and peaches. You could also include dried apples, dates, raisins and banana chips.
Nuts and Seeds
- You can use just about any kind that you like/want/have. We like salted roasted almonds, honey roasted almonds, pecans, cashews, and peanuts. I also like to include sunflower seeds and hulled pumpkin seeds (pepitas).
- You can include all kinds of chocolate chips (dark, milk, white, or even peanut butter chips), M&M's of any variety, chocolate covered raisins, and even candy-coated sunflower seeds. Include what you like!
- Shredded coconut or coconut chips and animal crackers are also great.
- Collect up your ingredients for making trail mix. I like to get a few things from each category though if we are hiking somewhere hot, I'll leave out the chocolate category so that it doesn't melt into a mess.
- Put the assorted ingredients into different bowls or into the cups of a muffin tin.
- Give your kids baggies/sacks/tupperware and let them pick and choose what they would like in their trail mix.
- Toss any "leftovers" from the bowls into a big bag. We call that "family trail mix" and we share it when their individual bags are gone.
- Go on an adventure and enjoy when you need a snack.
Some of our favorite Trail Mix Combos
- Dried cherries, honey roasted almonds, milk chocolate chips, cashews, and animal crackers.
- Peanuts, salted almonds, dried cranberries, milk, semi-sweet, white, AND peanut butter chips.
- Dried cherries, dried blueberries, dried apricots, cashews, pecans, dark chocolate chips, and candy-coated sunflower seeds.
- Dried persimmon (Aren't they pretty? Very chewy, FYI), honey roasted and salted almonds, pumpkin seeds, peanut butter chips, and candy-coated sunflower seeds.
- Dried white peaches, honey roasted almonds, pecans, sunflower seeds, and candy-coated sunflower seeds.
- Dried pineapple, white peaches, blueberries and cranberries, walnuts, sunflower seeds, animal crackers, chocolate-covered raisins, M&M's, and milk chocolate chips.
- Dried pineapple and apricots, salted almonds, cashews, white chocolate chip, pumpkin seeds, and coconut chips (my personal favorite!).
- Dried blueberries, salted almonds, pecans, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and white chocolate chips.
- Honey roasted almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, M&M's, and dark chocolate chips
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Category: snack
- Method: no bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 200
Keywords: how to make trail mix, trail mix recipe, trail mix, easy trail mix, trail mix for kids, snacks for kids, healthy snack, healthy snack ideas